Tuesday, February 12, 2008

One More Web 2.0 Application - Twitter

In searching for users of Google Documents in the classroom, I find a number of teachers referring to Twitter. As I investigate, I determine it is an SMS application for texting from a PC to PC or PC to cell phone; 140 character maximum per transmision.

I also found a blog posting on David Warlick's "2cent worth," that reported the results of a survey of high school students that were asked what skills they would expect to see in a tech-savvy teacher. I was a little taken back because of the eight or so responses, I was only using one. Stephen Heppell asked a group of students what a literate teacher should be able to do, and they agreed that teacher should be able to:
* upload to YouTube
* edit a Wikipedia article
* choose a safe online payments site
* subscribe to a podcast and un subscribe
* turn on and off preditive predictive text
* manage a groups Flickr photos (and spell Flickr!)
* look after a community in Facebook
I stand guilty as charged but resolute that I must rectify the situation. http://davidwarlick.com/2cents/archives/1345

I joined Classroom 2.o and posted a discussion on their forum. To this point, just the site moderator has responded. I did find a couple of teachers doing Google Documents in the classroom and replied to their postings. I subscribed to a couple RSS feeds there but have heard nothing as of yet.

No comments: